Press Release Archive
WNBA Announces Winners of the 2010 Pannell Award
The Women’s National Book Association is proud to announce the winners of the 2010 WNBA Pannell Award given annually since 1983 to two bookstores that excel in contributing to their communities in ways that bring books and young people together. The winner in the General Bookstore category is Green Toad Bookstore in Oneonta, NY, with Honorable Mention going to Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park, WA. The Children’s Specialty Store category winner is Little Shop of Stories in Decatur, GA.
A jury of five book industry professionals deliberated for four weeks, then selected the winners based on creativity, responsiveness to community needs and an understanding of young readers. Jurors complimented all ten entries for the valuable contributions they make to their communities. Specifically…
- … Green Toad for reaching out to young people with special needs and their “substance mixed with a little flash”
- … Little Shop of Stories for its wide range summer camp concept
- … Parkplace Books (Kirkland, WA) for the scope of its summer reading program
- … Blue Willow (Houston, TX) for its outreach programs for middle-grade readers
- … Third Place Books with their philosophy “Because of shrinking school budgets it is harder to take kids to the store; therefore, the store takes authors to schools,” and the fact that they give free journals and pens to homeless teens
- … and Books, Inc. (San Francisco) with its “Not Your Mother’s Book Group.”
WNBA Announces Bookseller Award Nominees
The Women’s National Book Association is proud to announce the nominees for the 2010 WNBA Pannell Award. Established in 1981 to honor Lucile Micheels Pannell, a model book woman and children’s bookseller, the Pannell Award recognizes retail bookstores that excel at inspiring the interest of young people in books and reading. WNBA will present this year’s award to two bookstores—one general and one children’s specialty store—at BookExpoAmerica in New York.
Each recipient will receive a check for $1,000 and a framed piece of original art by a children’s book illustrator. In addition to the WNBA, the award is sponsored by Penguin Young Readers Group, a leading publisher of books for young people. This year’s nominees represent a wide range of stores from all over the country:
- Big Blue Marble Bookstore –Philadelphia, PA
- Blue Willow Bookshop – Houston, TX
- Bookshelf at Hooligan Rocks – Truckee, CA
- Books, Inc. – San Francisco, CA
- Green Toad Bookstore – Oneonta, NY
- Hicklebee’s – Willow Glen, CA
- Ladels Children’s Book Boutique—Detroit, MI
- Literary Life Bookstore – Grand Rapids, MI
- Little Shop of Stories – Decatur, GA
- Parkplace Books – Kirkland, WA
- Park Road Books – Charlotte, NC
- The Bookworm of Edwards – Edwards, CO
- Third Place Books – Lake Forest Park, WA
A jury of five book industry professionals will select the award winners based on the store’s demonstration of creativity, responsiveness to community needs, passion and a genuine understanding of making the connection between books and young people. Submissions can be electronic or hard copy sent by mail.
The Women’s National Book Association …
wants to know about bookstores in the United States that excel at inspiring interest in reading, as well as creatively bringing books and young people together. They will present the annual WNBA Pannell Award to two bookstores–one a general bookstore and one a children’s speciality bookstore–at the 2010 BookExpo America. Each recipient will receive a check for $1,000 and a framed piece of original art by a noted children’s book illustrator. Nominated stores have the option of making their submissions to the Pannell jury electronically or by sending hard copy materials by mail.
To nominate your favorite bookstore (even your own!) that works within the community to instill the love of reading in young people, please provide the following:
1) Name of store
2) Address and phone number of the store
3) Contact person at the store, including email address (most important!)
4) A brief reason (just a sentence or two) of why you believe the store is deserving of this award
5) Your name and affiliation to the nominated store.
Please send your nomination to [email protected]. Deadline for nominations is Jan. 15, 2010.
The Pannell Award was established in 1981 by WNBA, a century-old national organization of women and men who work to promote reading and to support the role of women in the book community.