Membership entitles you to benefit personally and professionally by connecting with other WNBA members in the following ways:
Networking & Promotional Benefits
- Network with WNBA professionals around the U.S. and regionally
- Attend WNBA events anywhere in the country
- Professional development through chapter & national board positions
- Get a discounted rate to enter the WNBA Annual Writing Contest
- Nominate a book woman for the WNBA Award
- Promote your work through the WNBA Promotional Program
- Promote your book or service on the national website
- Member authors: One book cover image in rotation on the home page
- Member authors: Up to three book cover images on our Featured Books page
- Members with companies or professional services: Your logo, URL, and description featured
- $30 annual fee
- Promotion through The Bookwoman:
- Publish articles or book reviews
- Publicize books or articles you’ve published
- Advertise your skills or business
- Listing in our Online National Directory
- Website: Promote your book or service for an additional $30 a year
- Website: List your blog for free
- Add your book to the Boston Public Library’s WNBA collection (and to the circulating collection, if desired). More information in the Members Only section.
- Facebook publicity through chapter and national accounts
- Twitter publicity through chapter and national accounts
- Learn about trends and issues in the book industry and literary world in your region and in the larger U.S.
- Receive The Bookwoman, WNBA’s national newsletter
- Receive your chapter’s newsletter
The Directory is available publicly. Add your picture, social media links, website, contact information and brief information about yourself. The Directory allows each member to customize her or his profile, displaying only what is desired.
Find editors, publishers, agents, libraries, speakers among our members.
This Directory also enables members to contact and network with each other, one of the prime benefits of membership in WNBA. Traveling to a WNBA chapter city or region? Contact members to connect to the literary events of that community.
To join WNBA
If you live in a city with an established chapter, contact them (refer to Find a Chapter). If you’re more than fifty miles from the nearest chapter city, you may choose a Network Membership and connect it with the chapter of your choice. The Network Membership may be selected through the chapter of your choice. Please visit a chapter’s website for network membership instructions.
WNBA has four categories of membership:
- Active Members are chapter members who live in close proximity to a chapter city and can attend meetings.
- Network Members are individuals who do not live near a city with a WNBA chapter.
- Sustaining Members are corporations or individuals that support WNBA financially and are recruited by chapter presidents, national officers, and others.
- Honorary Members may be named by a chapter from time to time.
Chapters may establish additional membership categories for local use.
Active membership is at the chapter level. Annual contributions are paid to and established by the chapter. Active members are eligible to attend all chapter programs, serve on committees, be elected to local and national offices, and receive The Bookwoman. The chapter determines other chapter benefits and annual dues.
If you’re more than fifty miles from the nearest chapter city, you can join as a Network member and receive many of the benefits of the chapter with which you will affiliate. Go to Find a Chapter to decide on which chapter, go to the chapter’s website, and follow the membership instructions there.
Sustaining membership is open to firms, individuals, or organizations that support the goals and activities of WNBA. Sustaining members are eligible to attend all national WNBA functions, nominate women candidates for the WNBA Award, and receive The Bookwoman. Contributions are on a sliding scale based on annual sales:
Up to $10 million or not-for-profit: $500
$10 million – $100 million: $1,500
$100 million – $250 million: $2,000
Over $250 million: $2,500 or more
If you are interested in becoming a Sustaining member, please contact the WNBA National President listed on the Officers page.
The designation and privileges of Honorary membership are made at the chapter level.
To join WNBA, contact a chapter by going to their website and following membership directions. If you are not near a chapter, you may become a network member by contacting a chapter you wish to associate it, and follow the chapter’s instructions on becoming a Network Member.
To start a new chapter, review New_Chapter_Instructions.