Because the WNBA is a federally tax-exempt organization, no federal tax should be paid on any goods or services purchased by any national officer, committee chair, or member. One should make WNBA’s tax status known to any firm with which the national organization intends to do business. But if an invoice comes through with tax added, delete tax charge and enclose a copy of the Tax Exempt Blanket Certificate. This must be obtained from the national treasurer. (See sample below.)
- National must obtain three bids for any major purchase.
- Major purchases should be approved by the president and treasurer before commitment is finalized.
- On expenditures for any item or service that is reimbursable, complete the “Request for Payment” form (see sample on Web site, For Members Only/Forms).
- Include all receipts.
- Indicate to which budget the items are to be charged.
- Send form with receipts attached to national president for approval.
- Any anticipated expense over budget must be approved in advance, in writing, by a majority of the executive committee.